2.29.2008

Bumbleberry Baking

Looking for some yummy treats? Look no further than Bumbleberry Baking. Delicious, rich goodies to satisfy any sweet tooth!

* Tell us about your shop:
Bumbleberry Baking Co. is an organic baked goods company which produces delicious muffins and cookies. We bake in small batches, using the finest organic ingredients and never including additives or preservatives. We always bake and ship same day so our customers can receive the freshest possible baked goods. We focus on the importance of baking something from scratch, and we like to say that our products are always made by hand, from the heart.


* How did you get started?
I started Bumbleberry after being a graphic designer for 3 years and wanting a change in my career path. It was important for me to still maintain my creativity, so I focused on what I loved to do and what experience I had learned working at a small business, and decided to pursue organic baking. After being a “buyer-only” on Etsy.com for an entire year, I was ready to become a seller and join the amazing and talented community of craftsmen and artisans and be a part of Etsyʼs edible section.


* Where does your shop name come from?
I first started brainstorming about adjectives that I thought this company should have, as well as how those terms should be shown in the logo, packaging, and overall brand. Basically, how would I appear in the marketplace. I thought the company should appear to be playful, lighthearted, fresh, warm and inviting. Then I started flipping through cookbooks, looking for descriptive words or baking terminology. I had a lot of the obvious, “sugar” and “sweet stuff”, but then came across the name of a mixed berry pie: Bumbleberry. I really loved the sound of it, the word itself is very whimsical. It definitely could represent the sweetness of a baking company, and encompassed all of the adjectives that I knew I wanted my brand to have, without being so literal.


* Advice for other artist?
Definitely the best piece of advice I can give is be true to yourself. Love what you do and have
confidence in it. It can be disheartening when there is so much youʼre up against to really succeed, but kept persevering because it will pay off. Focus on your product and learn how to make it different from the rest. Donʼt forget the little things, like a handwritten note included in your package. And always have great customer service!


* Favorite or best selling product?
My favorite product is the Oatmeal Pumpkin Muffins, they have such great texture and really stay moist from the pumpkin. I love them in the fall, when the air is turning crisp and the flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg really are satisfying. I also love the Chocolate Chunk Cookies, which are extremely rich. Itʼs a great cookie to share with someone special because theyʼre so decadent and are so large!


* Any additional info you find interesting or relevant :
A great book that I would recommend to any creative person that is interested in starting their own company or selling their own products is Craft, Inc: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business by Meg Mateo Ilasco. I found it much more interesting than other small business books I read because itʼs written by a designer so she was able to speak about very serious business topics in a refreshing way. Itʼs also a wealth of info, from the basics of applying for licenses, to creating your brand, to marketing yourself, to selling wholesale. It was very inspiring for me, besides being very informative.
For these goodies and more visit: http://bumbleberrybaking.etsy.com

No comments: