3.08.2010

The Eco-nomical Baby Guide

Book review time! I jumped at the chance to write a review of the new book by Joy Hatch and Rebecca Kelley, The eco-nomical baby guide! With the arrival of baby #4 coming in a few short months, we are thinking -all baby- at our house right now. Our family tries to live as eco-friendly as we can, so this book was right up my alley.

The authors write a blog, the greenbabyguide, where they discuss lots of eco-friendly tips, products and idea's. As my family has grown, we have incorporated more and more earth friendly ways, but at the same time, our income has been stretched a little more each time. What I love about this book is the premise that you can be good to our planet, AND afford it! There are so many eco-friendly, really awesome products I come across that are sadly, just way, WAY out of our price range.

This would be a perfect baby shower gift for first time parents! I wish I had this back when our family started growing. Much of the idea's in the book, we have already incorporated into our lives, but through trial and error and many years. It would have been so much easier to have a great reference guide like this! We are definitely a pro-breastfeeding, repurposing, green cleaning product, and organic eating family! The book really shows the pro's of these without being too preachy [as some books get]. Any family with young children, wanting to green up their choices would find this book helpful!

While we are are no longer first time parents, there was still plenty for me to learn too. There is a HUGE section on cloth diapering. Cloth diapering is the one thing that I always wanted to do, but just didn't know enough about it. I have no one to ask, and most resources list such dated material. This was fantastic for me. The different types of cloth diapers, uses, pro's/con's, and cost were shown in an easy to understand manner. I really likes the charts used in this section. Easy to see the choices compared to each other.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book. It has a nice, easy flow, that can put down and picked up [as anyone with little kids at home HAS to do!] without forgetting what your reading about. Each chapter focus on another subject which I really liked.

No comments: